Fall risk increases as we get older. In fact, falls are the leading cause of injury and even death in individuals 65 years of age or older.
At Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy we believe that the more our patients know the better the chance they have of staying fit and healthy.
Interesting Facts & Statistics
- The fall risk is greater for women than for men.
- Falls are reported by 33% of all people 65 and older.
- For people between the ages of 65-69, one out of every 200 falls results in a hip fracture.
- For people who are 85 and older one out of every 10 falls results in a hip fracture.
- 25% of individuals who fracture a hip require lifelong nursing care.
- 25% of individuals who fracture a hip die within six months.
- 66% of those who experience a fall will fall again within six months.
Lowering Your Fall Risk
Most falls are preventable. And while there are many ways to prevent falls, one of the best is through regular exercise. Failure to exercise regularly results in poor muscle tone, decreased strength, and loss of bone mass and flexibility. This means you will not only be more likely to fall but also more likely to sustain an injury!
How Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy can Help.
Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy offers physical and aquatic therapy to keep you feeling young. Our therapists have a wide range of experience in treating elderly patients and will design a treatment plan specifically for you!
Falls do not have to be a normal part of aging. So don’t become another statistic; call Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy today!
If you have any questions about Preventing Falls, Physical Therapy, and Aquatic Therapy, please contact Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy by visiting Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy today! And if you are a new patient, please review our New Patient Forms page before your first visit.