Balance disorders are serious business, especially amongst the elderly. Falls are a significant cause of sprains, fractures, loss of independence, and even loss of life. And falls account for 80% of all hospital admissions for older adults.
Interesting Fall Facts & Statistics
- Falls are reported by 33% of all people 65 and older.
- People 65-69 years old: one out of every 200 falls results in a hip fracture.
- People 85+ years old: one out of every 10 falls results in a hip fracture.
- 25% of individuals who fracture a hip require life-long nursing care.
- 25% of individuals who fracture a hip die within six months.
- 66% of those who experience a fall will fall again within six months.
To learn more about falls and senior citizens, please check out our previous blog post: Fall Risk & the Elderly: Facts, Statistics, Causes, & Prevention.
Treating Balance Disorders with Aquatic Therapy
Aquatic therapy – both rehabilitation and fitness activities – is a proven treatment for balance disorders. The benefits of aquatic therapy include:
- Support: Added support helps encourage free movement.
- Resistance: Added support helps encourage free movement.
- No Fall Risk: With aquatic therapy, patients with balance disorders do not have to worry about falls. They can focus on the task at hand: getting better!
- And more!
Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy: Aquatic Therapy Centers in Maryland
At Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy, our therapists have experience treating a wide range of disorders, from neurological problems and Musculoskeletal Disorders to Carpal Tunnel and balance disorders. Our goal is to restore balance, mobility, and independence and get you back to work and play as quickly as possible.
If you have any questions about Balance Disorders, Physical Therapy, or Aquatic Therapy, please contact Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy by visiting cbayaquapt.com today! And if you are a new patient, please review our New Patient Forms page before your first visit.
Thank you for choosing Chesapeake Bay Aquatic & Physical Therapy!